April 7, 2017
The Flowering Cherries are Blooming!
There is no surer sign of spring than when the flowering cherry trees begin to bloom. There will be thousands of trees in bloom over the next month. The first to bloom are usually the Flowering Plums including ‘Pissardi Nigra’ and ‘Bliriana’. The rest will bloom over 6 to 8 weeks.
To celebrate the flowering cherries as they come into bloom The Vancouver Cherry Blossom Festival runs from March 30th to April 23rd. For more information about the varieties you might find in bloom throughout greater Vancouver visit the Cherry Blossom Festival website here. At Hunters Garden Centre we have many of these varieties trees to choose from including:
- Flowering Plum ‘Pissardi Nigra’- pink flowers
- Flowering Plum ‘Blireriana’ – pink flowers
- Flowering Cherry ‘Kiku Shidare’ – double pink
- Flowering Cherry ‘Kanzan’ (aka Kwanzan)- double pink
- Flowering Cherry ‘Mount Fuji’ (aka Shirotae) – double white
- Flowering Cherry ‘Shirofugen’ – white
- Flowering Cherry subhirtella ‘Pendula’ – weeping form, pink flowers