October 17th, 2022
Grow your own Garlic!
Vampires beware it’s time to plant garlic. Fall is a great time to plant your garlic crop for next year and growing good garlic is easy. If you just plant the cloves in the ground anytime between September and March and it will probably grow. But if you want to grow large, healthy bulbs, there is more to it. Click here to download our Garlic Growing Tips Information Brochure.
This year you can choose from ten different varieties of garlic, including three varieties of certified organic garlic. They include:
- Regular White – Common type of white garlic, has a mild flavour.
- Elephant – Has large cloves but very mild flavour
- Bogatyr – A Hardneck variety known for its hot, strong taste. Excellent for roasting
- Chesnok Red –
- Duganski – Fiery flavour that mellows when cooked. Stores well.
- Mexican Purple – This garlic has a hot flavour when raw, but becomes milder when baked
- Music – Music is large beautiful and well-formed porcelain garlic. Its flavour is very rich and musky, strong and robust and sticks around for a while.
- Russian Red – A rocambole hardneck garlic with a rich, musky flavour and is very hot when eaten raw. Grows great in the northwest.
Certified Organic Varieties from Rootdown Organic Farm in Pemberton, BC – Rootdownfarm.net
- Northern Quebec Porcelain Garlic
- Red Russian Garlic
Varieties from Rasa Creek Farms – RasaCreekFarm.com
- Armenian Bulbs
- Chesnok Red Bulbs
- Majestic Bulbs
- Persian Star Bulbs
- Leningrad Bulbs
- Red Rezan Bulbs
- Red Russian Bulbs
- Creme de la Rasa Bulbs
- Purple Russian Bulbs
To download a list of Garlic Types, click here