December 25th, 2020
Recycling Your Christmas Tree!
Due to Covid many of the tree chipping events are not happening this year. So be sure to check before taking your tree.
There are still several ways that you can recycle your Christmas tree in Greater Vancouver. Here are some alternatives. For more alternatives call the BC Recycling Hotline at 604-732-9253.
Residential Collection (Surrey, Delta, or Langley)
Surrey residents that receive yard trimmings collection may put their tree out before 7 AM on their regular yard trimming collection day until January 31st. Residents are asked to cut the tree into branches and bundle the branches together for ease of pickup. For more information contact the City of Surrey Garbage and Recycling line at 604-590-7289.
Delta residents can put your Christmas tree out with your yard waste but regular restrictions apply. Bundles must be no more than 1 meter by 60 cm.
Langley (City or Township) residents can put your Christmas tree out with your yard waste but regular restrictions apply. Bundles must be no more than 1 meter by 60 cm and weigh no more than 34 kg (75 lbs).
Transfer Station (Surrey, Delta, or Langley)
Surrey residents are welcome to drop off their tree at the transfer station at 9770 – 192nd Street, Surrey. The Transfer Station is open from 8 AM until 5 PM Monday to Friday and 8 AM to 6 PM Saturday and Sunday. For more information call the Transfer Station at 604-513-2409.
Delta residents are welcome to drop off their trees at the Vancouver Landfill for Composting. The composting facility is located at 5400 – 72nd Street in Delta.
Langley residents are welcome to drop off their trees for a fee at the transfer station located at 1070 – 272 Street, Langley. The transfer station is open Monday to Saturday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. or Sunday, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Many local Charities normally host chipping events but due to Covid many have been cancelled, so please check. Here are a few:
- Newton Athletic Park (128th Street and 74th Avenue) Surrey firefighters will be on hand to assist with the chipping of Christmas trees
- Emanuel Covenant Church – January 4th and 5th 10 am to 4 pm, at 17029 16th Ave., Surrey. Info: Emmanuelcovenant.ca.
- Lions Club/Surrey Food Bank tree chip, Central City mall east parking lot – cancelled for 2020
- Enver Creek Secondary Dry Grad fundraiser Date/Time TBD. Held first weekend of January at school, 14505 84 Avenue, Surrey, Check their website for more info at www.surreyschools.ca/schools/envercreek/Pages/default.aspx
- Surrey Firefighters’ Annual Tree Chip (by donation) Newton Athletic Park (128th Street and 74th Avenue) – visit Surreyfirefighters.com/charitablesociety/campaigns/treechip/ for more information
- Holy Cross Secondary School, 16079 88th Ave.,
- The North Delta Lions Club are hosting a tree chipping event at Memorial Park (5010 47th Avenue) in Ladner
Residential Collection (Vancouver)
Households that receive yard trimmings collection may put their tree out before 7 AM on Saturday January 11th or Sunday January 12th. For more information visit the City of Vancouver’s website here, contact the City of Vancouver Recycling Hotline at 604-326-4600, OR email@example.com.
Vancouver South Transfer Station
Any city of Vancouver resident is welcome to drop off their undecorated tree at the transfer station until January 31st at the Vancouver South Transfer Station (377 West Kent Avenue North) and the Vancouver Landfill (5400 – 72nd Street, Delta)
Lions Club Chipping Event (Vancouver)
The Lions Club of BC hosts usually Chipping Events at several locations but due to Covid they have all been cancelled for 2021. Donations of Cash and non-perishable food items will be distributed to local charities. Chipping events will take place at the following locations:
- Kits Beach Parking Lot (Cornwall and Arbutus) –
- Kerrisdale Ice Rink (5670 East Boulevard North of 41st) –
- Sunset Beach Upper Parking Lot (Beach Avenue and Broughton Street) –
- Trout Lake –
- Mount Pleasant BIA, Kingsgate Mall east parking lot
- Little Mountain Neighbourhood House, 50 E. 30th Ave.
Contact the Lions Club for more information:
UBC Christmas Tree Chipper Event (Vancouver)
“Chip In” by recycling your Christmas tree at the UBC Botanical Gardens. Your tree will be chipped into bark mulch for the pathways. For self service you can drop your tree off anytime between December 26th and January 10th, between 10 AM and 2 PM.
Drop trees at the UBC Botanical Garden parking lot, at 6804 South West Marine Drive Please remove all lights, decorations, tinsel, stands, or other items. No yard trimmings please, just Christmas trees. UBC Plant Operations and UBC Botanical Garden proudly sponsor this sustainability initiative. Donations are gratefully appreciated. Visit botanicalgarden.ubc.ca or call 604-822-4208 for more information.